Tuesday 17 July 2018

My adventures into making kimono's

Image result for barbie mcdonalds japanWhen I was a small kid, probably around 5 I got a collection of barbies from around the world, and my favorite one was by far the Japanese one.   This was a few years before I had even got into anime.

World fashion, in general, is something that still interests me today.





Image may contain: 2 peopleThe first kimono I ever made myself was for Rai con
(an anime/comic book convention in Glasgow, UK) I think it must have been about 2016
I was really happy with it but like a lot of "cosplays"
I use that term loosely for me cause I'm not as active as I'd like to be.

I left a lot of it till last minute and used my friend's really tiny sewing machine (thankfully I have 2 trusty well-working machines now.


Image result for kagura gintama in akimonoIt was the best feeling ever!  even if it was my first kimono and not exactly that well made, I loved the sleeves and because I closed the outer side I used it to put my phone and money and what not in (very practical!)


This is definitely something I am going to re-visit in the future since I've made a bit more experience making kimonos since then!










I went for a one on one class with the lovely Jennie Lööf in April of this year
she helped me make my kimono pattern, and I have since then made 4 kimonos and am looking to make more before the month is over!

The first kimono I made (I did in calico, but I made a mistake I accidentally cut out the front and the back together), but what I did to fix this was added a patch of fabric onto the back in the shape that had been cut out and I love how it works!)

An accident turns into something I can really use to make the kimonos that little bit different.
I was happy with my first step towards the making, as I just went for it, and even though the mistakes, I managed to sort them and come up with new ideas for the kimono!

























I am starting up my Etsy shop today, and having some garments being made to order as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment